Thursday, January 22, 2009

WHERE SHALL MY WONDERING SOUL BEGIN

WHERE SHALL MY WONDERING SOUL BEGIN – EMHB 361

Author: Charles Wesley (1708-1788)

Tune: Whitsuntide (1738)

This is one of Charles and John Wesley’s Conversion Hymns. The Hymn describes their experiences from birth to their conversion. Charles on May 21st, 1738 wrote, “I now found myself at peace with God and rejoiced in hope of loving Christ. I saw that by faith I stood”. John on the other hand, came to Christ about the same time saying, “I felt my heart strangely warmed”.

John (the elder) and Charles were born to Rev. Samuel and Susannah Wesley. John (1703-1791), Charles (1707-1788).

Both John and Charles lived and died in full communion with the Church of England, though their Ministry was exclusively to independent congregation. Methodism was never established as a separate, organised dissenting group until 1808 following the deaths of both Wesleys.

Charles wrote this Hymn for their special congregations. Verse 4 says, “Outcasts of men, to you I call, Harlots and Publicans and Thieves! He spreads his arms to embrace you all”. He concludes by saying, “He came (Jesus) the lost to seek and save – come O my guilty brethren come….”

Let us accept Charles’ invitation to come before the throne of Grace as we sing this wonderful Hymn.

EMHB 361

1. Where shall my wondering soul begin?
How shall I all to heaven aspire?
A slave redeemed from death and sin.
A brand plucked from eternal fire,
How shall I equal triumphs raise,
Or sing my great Deliverer’s praise?

2. O how shall I the goodness tell,
Father, which Thou to me hast showed?
That I, child of wrath and hell,
I should be called a child of God,
Should know, should feel my sins forgiven,
Blest with this antepast of heaven!

3. And shall I slight my Father’s love?
Or basely fear His gifts to own?
Unmindful of His favours prove?
Shall I, the hallowed Cross to shun,
Refuse His righteousness to impart,
By hiding it within my heart?

4. Outcasts of men, to you I call,
Harlots, and publicans, and thieves!
He spreads His arms to embrace you all;
Sinners alone His grace receives:
No need of Him the righteous have;
He came the lost to seek and save.

5. Come, O my guilty brethren, come,
Groaning beneath your load of sin!
His bleeding heart shall make you room,
His open side shall take you in;
He calls you now, invites you home:
Come, O my guilty brethren, come!
Adesegun Akitoye


No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMITTAL / FOR AS SUCH AS YOUR SERVANT, MRS. VICTORIA OLAMIDE WILLIAMS DEPARTED

COMMITTAL   We know that if the earthly house of our tabernacle be dissolved, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, ...