Saturday, March 7, 2009

LORD IN THE FULNESS OF MY MIGHT

LORD IN THE FULNESS OF MY MIGHT – EMHB 396

Author: Thomas H. Gill (1819-1906)

Tune: University

Bible Reference: 1st Chronicles 29 : 2

Introduction:

The words of this Hymn was written by Thomas Hornblower Gill (1819-1906). He was an English Presbyterian who become Unitarian in his doctrine later. He wrote this Hymn in 1855 and published same in his “Golden Chain of Praise” of 1869 under the leading “Early love, how good it is to close with Christ betimes”. This Hymn is based on 1st Chronicles 29:2 “Using every resource at my command. I have gathered as much as I could for building the temple of my God. Now there is enough Gold, Silver, Bronze, Iron, Wood as well as great quantities of Onyx, other precious Stones, costly Jewels and all kinds of fine Stones and Marble”.

Thomas Gill made a vow that he would be strong for the Lord and not let worldly things becloud his judgement so that he would continue to serve God whilst he has the strength and not wait till he was old. With the words of this Hymn we are encouraged to serve God and mankind when we still have the wherewithal to enjoy a fruitful and blessed life.

Please enjoy this Hymn.

EMHB 396

1. Lord, in the fullness of my might,
I would for Thee be strong:
While runneth o’er each dear delight,
To Thee should soar my song.

2. I would not give the world my heart,
And then profess Thy love;
I would not feel my strength depart,
And then Thy service prove.

3. I would not with swift-winged zeal
On the world’s errands go,
And labour up the heavenly hill
With weary feet and slow.

4. O not for Thee my weak desires,
My poorer, baser part!
O not for Thee my fading fires,
The ashes of my heart!

5. O choose me in my golden time,
In my dear joys part!
For Thee the glory of my prime,
The fullness of my heart!

6. I cannot, Lord, too early take
The covenant divine;
O ne’er the happy heart may break
Whose earliest love was Thine!


Adesegun Akitoye







No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMITTAL / FOR AS SUCH AS YOUR SERVANT, MRS. VICTORIA OLAMIDE WILLIAMS DEPARTED

COMMITTAL   We know that if the earthly house of our tabernacle be dissolved, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, ...